Automatic Sprinkler System
In buildings protected by an approved automatic sprinkler system or other approved automatic fire protection systems (as outlined below), the area covered by the fire protection system shall be eligible to receive a Sprinkler System Discount. To qualify for this discount, the automatic sprinkler system must be installed and maintained as outlined in the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) Standards listed below:
- NPFA 13 Standard for the Installation of Sprinkler Systems
- NFPA 13D Standard for the installation of Sprinkler Systems in One-and-Two Family Dwellings and Manufactured Homes
- NFPA13R Standard for the Installation of Sprinkler Systems in Residential Occupancies up to and including Four Stories in Height
- NFPA 25 Standard for the Inspection, Testing, and Maintenance of Water-Based Fire Protection Systems
- Any and all requirements as specified by the ICC codes
As adopted and amended by the Rules and Regulations of the Safety Fire Commissioner 120-3-3 Rules and Regulations for the State Minimum Fire Safety Standards. Systems must also be inspected and approved annually by a third party contractor to qualify for a discount. The types of sprinkler systems eligible for a credit for the customer types are identified in the table below.
Sprinkler System Type
An approved sprinkler system installed throughout 100% of the facility.
An approved sprinkler system installed in greater than 50% of the facility
An approved sprinkler system installed in less than 50% of the facility
An approved standpipe system not combined with a sprinkler system
An approved sprinkler monitoring panel only
Savannah Fire considers a system "approved" if it meets the following minimum conditions:
- Annual sprinkler inspection, test and maintenance report of a compliant system by a certified sprinkler company. Documentation of this must be provided to the City contemporaneous with the discount application.
- All sprinklers must be tied to a monitored fire alarm system so that if there is activation or a fire, the Savannah Fire response is not delayed. Audible water gongs not monitored are not eligible for approval.
- All sprinklers OS/Y valves must be chained with a breakable lock or monitored with a tamper switch in open position.
- All post indicator valves must be painted red and be visible at all times. The device must be chained with a breakable lock or monitored with a tamper switch in the open position.
- Savannah Fire connections shall be visible, accessible, and secured with Knox locking plugs. All Savannah Fire connections shall also have signage per NFPA codes.
- Zone posting on all alarms as follows:
- All Alarm panels must be labeled with descriptive labels that tell the Savannah Fire what zone the fire is located
- A Zone Map must be provided to Savannah Fire for the preplans and must be posted on the wall next to the sprinkler/fire alarm panel.
- The sprinklered building must have assured maintenance. Shut down, idle, or vacant structures must have an acceptable watchman or water flow and control-valve supervision (remote or central station) or a caretaker. A caretaker is a responsible person who visits the premises not less than weekly.
- In this case the name and a 24-hour contact number for the watchman or caretaker must be provided to Savannah Fire. A master key is to be provided in a secured Knox box placed on the facility.
- If a sprinkler system is inactivated due to maintenance, the building operator must notify Savannah Fire. If the system is to be impaired more than four hours, then the facility must provide a staffed fire watch or evacuate the building.
- Systems must have evidence of flushing and hydrostatic tests of both the underground and overhead piping in accordance with NFPA Standard
Documentation Required to be Submitted with Fire Fee Discount Application
The Fire Protection Fee customer shall provide the following documentation when applying for a Fire Protection fee discount for Automatic Sprinkler System:
- Fire Fee Discount Application;
- Affidavit with Certification Statement; and
- Records of the most recent inspection completed by a certified professional, i.e. copy/photo of “green” riser inspection compliance tag.
Upon receipt of the discount application or at any time after the discount has been awarded, Savannah Fire reserves the right to contact the applicant to schedule a site inspection. Plans for the sprinkler system, illustrating the area of the building covered by the sprinkler system must be available on-site for review during such an inspection. Based on the application and the results of any inspections, the City shall approve or deny the discount application.