March 20, 2020
For Immediate Release
City departments limiting public access
SAVANNAH, GA (March 20, 2020) - In response to Mayor Van R. Johnson’s emergency declaration, City Manager Pat Monahan has approved limiting public access at City facilities. The City of Savannah remains open for business, but the following changes should be noted:
- Revenue Department
- Suspended in-person customer service and temporarily closed its lobby at 305 Fahm St. at noon on Friday, March 20.
- Staff will be available to serve customers by telephone and through email during regular business hours on issues related to utilities, cashiering, property taxes, business taxes and alcohol licensure.
- The City will continue to accept utility bill, property tax and other payments online through the City website, by mail and curbside drop-off in the drop box at the Revenue Department’s office at 305 Fahm St. To encourage electronic bill payment, the $3.50 online transaction fee will be temporarily waived.
- The City of Savannah will not disconnect water service for non-payment through the end of March and will not contact residents regarding delinquent payment at this time. Customers are reminded this temporary measure does not relieve them of their responsibility to pay their bill. If residents are having difficulty paying their utility bills, they are asked to call the City to set up a payment plan.
- Customers can subscribe to an email newsletter for updates from the Revenue Department by visiting savannahga.gov/utilities and clicking “Join Our Email List” under the Helpful Links section.
- Development Services, Capital Improvement Projects and Planning and Urban Design
- The lobby at 5515 Abercorn St. is closed to the public.
- Customers must schedule an appointment to meet with specific staff.
- All offices will maintain regular weekday business hours of 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
- All SPR and BPR meetings are canceled until further notice.
- All Wednesday Walk-Throughs are canceled until further notice.
- Office of Business Opportunity and Savannah Entrepreneurial Center
- All scheduled classes are moved online. Individuals already registered for an upcoming session will receive information on how to access classes through an online portal.
- All visits to the Savannah Entrepreneurial Center are by appointment only. All services will continue to be available during normal business hours by accessing savannahga.gov/business or calling (912) 652-3582.
- The Office of Business Opportunity remains available to assist with starting a business, accessing incentives, government contracting, and small business financing.
- Traffic Engineering Office
- Starting Monday, March 23, there will be no walk-in service for permits (dumpster/container, driveway, oversize load, right-of-way work permits).
- All permit requests for essential work must be submitted via fax (912) 525-1535 or email email@example.com.
- Invoiced fees can be paid using most credit cards online via eTRAC. To sign up, users must click "Register" on the eTRAC site and provide the required information.
- A drop-box is available next to the main entrance of the Traffic Engineering Office located at 1100 W. Gwinnett St. - Building B for customers unable to submit applications and/or fees electronically. No personal checks or cash will be accepted. Only cashier’s checks, money orders or local company checks.
- Permitting services will ONLY be available for essential work (critical service repairs or installations). Applications for non-essential work or requests that can be rescheduled will not be accepted until further notice.
- Contact the Traffic Engineering Office at (912) 651-6600 with questions.
- Office of Special Events, Film, and Tourism
- The Office of Special Events, Film, and Tourism (SEFT) will not accept applications for new events or issue any permits for activities on the public right-of-way or in City facilities through April 13, 2020.
- If you have received a permit for an event scheduled to take place between March 18 and April 13, 2020, please contact the office for either a refund or to have your permit fees applied to another date. Please be advised that, until more is understood about the length of the impact of Coronavirus on our community, SEFT will not be rescheduling dates at this time. Please check the website regularly for updates and changes to this Policy.
- The following City facilities are only open to visitors by appointment:
- Coastal Georgia Center
- City Hall
- Savannah Morning News building
- Special Events, Film and Tourism Office
- W.W. Law Archives