Click to Home

Go To Search
Hurricane FAQ
Jump to the section of the FAQ related to the following categories:

Where should trash receptacles be placed if the regular point for pickup is blocked with debris?
Place receptacles as close to the regular pickup point as possible.

What if a tree is on City property but fell on private property?   
Dial 3-1-1 to request a work order, and the City will remove the tree.

How can neighbors help City crews collect debris?     
Separate debris by waste type.

Should residents cut up tree branches?    
If possible, cut up tree debris and place on the public right of way for pickup.

Who is responsible for trees planted in tree lawns that have fallen?       
The City will remove damaged trees planted in tree lawns.

What is public property?
Dial 3-1-1 to report the location and City staff will make a determination. 

What types of bags are allowed for debris pickup?    
Brown paper lawn bags (no plastic bags) are preferred. 

Are any lawn bags available?         
Currently, there are not any supplies available.

Should debris and waste be placed on the street or curb?   
All trash and debris should be placed on the public right of way, or curb. Residents should avoid placing items in the streets.

Will resident be charged pickup fees for lawn bags filled with debris?  
Residents will not be charged pickup fees for lawn bags filled with debris. The City of Savannah will not limit the number of bags during pickups at this time. 

Will the City help clear tree debris on playgrounds?  
Yes.  Report playground areas with tree debris by dialing 3-1-1.  

What is the Sanitation schedule?    
The City of Savannah’s Sanitation Department is currently operating on regular garbage collection schedule. Curbside recycling is currently suspended but expected to resume shortly. Yard waste collection is incorporated with storm debris. 

Does someone working on my house need to have a license or a building permit?
Find out at

How do I know if the price someone wants to charge for working on my house is fair?

Try to get cost estimates from 2 or 3 contractors, so you can compare costs for the same scope of work.

Should a contractor have insurance?
Yes.  A contractor should have general liability insurance and preferably workers compensation insurance.  Ask for a copy of the contractor’s insurance policy.  

Is the contractor with the lowest price always the contractor I should hire?

Ask each contractor who gives you a price for two or three references and then contact them to see what other homeowners have to say about the contractor’s performance.

What should I do if my house was damaged by the storm and needs to be repaired?
One of the first things you should do is call your insurance company.

Does FEMA have funds or programs that might help me address storm related housing repairs?
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has granted Chatham County a declaration of Individual Assistance.  Individual Assistance aids homeowners without insurance and opens programs to insured owners.

FEMA will set up disaster relief centers throughout Chatham County. Please keep in mind, this will take several days or more to establish support services. 

Learn more about possible FEMA assistance by calling and registering your house with FEMA at 1- 800-621-3362 or going to its web site at   

Does the City have home repair funding for storm damage that might help me?

 The City’s Housing Department administers home repair programs for qualified Savannah homeowners that might help cover some costs not covered by your insurance or FEMA.  Homeowners must file an insurance claim (if an owner has insurance) and register with FEMA to be considered for Housing Department assistance.  Call 651-6926 to find out more.

Are there volunteer groups that could help me remove storm debris and trees/limbs from my yard? 
 Possibly. You may want to register your need at

My business can provide goods and/or services to help with cleanup and recovery. How can I get involved?  is an online platform that connects individuals who need help with those looking to provide assistance and make donations. We are encouraging individuals, nonprofit organizations, and   business owners to add any available resources to the platform. 

Damage to the physical space, loss of utilities, the evacuation, and/or the curfew prevented me from operating my business. Are there any funds available to help businesses with our losses?
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has granted Chatham County a declaration of Individual Assistance. With this declaration comes assistance to small businesses.  For more information or to be considered for all forms of disaster assistance, please register with FEMA at, by mobile device at or call the toll-free Helpline at 800-621-3362. Those who use 711-Relay or Video Relay Services should call 800-621-3362 (800-462-7585 TTY).

The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) Administrator has announced the SBA is strongly committed to providing the people of Georgia with the most effective and customer-focused response possible to assist businesses, homeowners and renters with federal disaster loans. The SBA offers several ways to apply for a disaster loan: online application via SBA’s secure website at; visit a recovery center for one-one-one assistance; or download an application from  Individuals also may call the SBA’s Customer Service Center at 800-659-2955 (800-877-8339 for the deaf and hard-of-hearing) or send an email to .

In addition to managing the City of Savannah’s small business loans, the Small Business Assistance Corporation is offering recovery loans to businesses experiencing hardship due to the storm. Find more information about SBAC by visiting their website ( or calling  (912) 232-4700.