The Broughton Streetscapes Project will transform the look of Broughton Street. Currently Broughton Street is made up of a patchwork of different types of sidewalk material including concrete, brick, and tabby concrete. This project will unify the look. Highlights of the project include new brick paver sidewalks, brick paver parking, brick paver crosswalks, lighting, landscaping, hardscapes, bike racks, benches, and Americans with Disability Act (ADA) accessible sidewalk ramps. The project will include a festival zone, which will extend along Broughton Street from Whitaker Street to Drayton Street. Throughout this zone, the brick paver streets will be elevated to sidewalk level, and this area will be use for special events. The center feature of the festival zone will be a large compass rose design at the intersection of Bull Street and Broughton Street. Although this project is a streetscape project, in order to incorporate the design features, substantial underground utility work will be required throughout the project. As part of the project, the entirety of Broughton Street will be repaved at the end of the project.
Throughout the evolution of Broughton Street over many decades, driven by an ever-growing economy, the underground infrastructure has remained relatively untouched (including water, sewer, storm drainage, cable, fiber optics, gas, and power lines). Working to complete the streetscape project while preserving the historic integrity of Broughton Street is the ultimate project goal. As the project team embarks on its journey to improve the streetscape of this historic corridor, unforeseen challenges are anticipated. As with any construction, these challenges can affect the project’s overall schedule. Fortunately, the project team is dedicated to resolving and working through these challenges as quickly and economically as possible, while maintaining the historic charm of Broughton Street.
The City is working with the Contractor and the design team to deliver these much needed streetscape improvements as efficiently as possible. We appreciate the community’s patience and understanding during construction. We understand that construction can be an inconvenience. We continue to work towards minimizing the impacts to surrounding residents and businesses. While vehicular traffic is limited within the working zones, pedestrian access and safety will be maintained and is considered as important as the construction itself. All of the construction activity is the means necessary to provide a finished streetscape which complements Savannah’s downtown historic area.
Phase I of the project is currently under construction and extends from Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard to Drayton Street.
Note: Pedestrian access to all businesses will be maintained at all times throughout construction.
For information about this project, please contact:
- Chandler Crawford, Community Outreach Coordinator, (912) 658-4855, email
- Byron Stiles, Capital Project Manager, (912) 663-7937, email
Community Meeting Information
Broughton Streetscapes Community Meetings will be held virtually through Zoom to regularly communicate project status and answer questions about the progress of the project. The next Zoom meeting is tentatively scheduled for Tuesday, 5:30 pm, date TBD. To RSVP for this meeting, please email Chandler Crawford at this email and let him know if you would like to speak at the meeting. The Zoom meeting link will be provided the morning of the meeting. For access to recordings of prior meetings, please contact Chandler Crawford. Links to the presentation information provided at previous meetings can be found below.
- Broughton Streetscapes Construction Update Presentation 07.14.20
- Broughton Streetscapes Construction Update Presentation 07.28.20
- Broughton Streetscapes Construction Update Presentation 08.11.20
- Broughton Streetscapes Construction Update Presentation 08.25.20
- Broughton Streetscapes Construction Update Presentation 09.08.20
- Broughton Streetscapes Construction Update Presentation 10.06.20
- Broughton Streetscapes Construction Update Presentation 10.27.20
- Broughton Streetscapes Construction Update Presentation 11.10.20
Road Closure Information
- Montgomery Street Intersection (MLK, Jr. Blvd. to Jefferson St.) - INTERSECTION CURRENTLY CLOSED Anticipated Intersection Reopening: November 25th, 2020* (MLK, Jr. Blvd. to west of Montgomery intersection)
- Jefferson Street Intersection (Montgomery St. to Barnard St.) Anticipated Intersection Closure: November 30th, 2020*
*NOTE: Dates are tentative and subject to change due to weather and/or unforeseen circumstances, such as unknown underground utilities. The City will make all efforts to inform the public when intersection closure dates shift