Life Insurance and AD&D
Group Life Insurance and Accidental Death & Dismemberment
Protect your family’s income in the event of a death due to illness or accident with life insurance and accidental death and dismemberment insurance provided by The Standard.
|Life Insurance and AD&D Coordinated by:||The Standard|
|Fax for Claims Submission:||1-215-293-9048|
Coverage Available to You and Your Family
Basic Life with Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D)
- Eligible employees are automatically enrolled in basic life insurance 30 days after date of hire for the amount of life insurance equal to one-time annual salary rounded up to the nearest thousand, to a maximum of $100,000 at no cost to you. The amount of basic life / AD&D insurance coverage automatically increases/decreases as the employee’s salary increases or decreases.
- An additional amount of $2,500 in life insurance is provided at the Employer’s expense to each eligible member enrolled in the City of Savannah’s group medical plan. This amount does not increase and is cancelled when the dependent is removed from the City of Savannah group medical plan, or when the employee retires or separates employment with the City.
Supplemental Life with Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D)
- Eligible active employees may purchase supplemental life insurance at 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x, or 5x annual salary, rounded up to the nearest thousand to a maximum of $250,000
- You may elect coverage of up to 1x your annual salary, not to exceed $250,000 without evidence of insurability within 31 days of your hire date.
- Elections above 1x your salary require approval by The Standard. You must complete an Evidence of Insurability application (EOI) online here (select “Enroll”) or submit an EOI directly to The Standard for approval. You will be notified if you are approved or denied by the vendor.
- Matching amount of AD&D insurance. For more information please see pg. 7 in the Standard Group Life Insurance Policy.
- Coverage is portable.
- You may apply for supplemental life insurance any time during the year.
- You may purchase Spouse Life in $10,000 increments up to maximum of $100,000.
- Elections of up to $30,000 do not require EOI for newly eligible employees who elect coverage within 30 days of employment.
- Married couples who work with the City of Savannah are not eligible to purchase Spouse Life Insurance.
- You must complete evidence of insurability (EOI) in order to increase the Spouse Life insurance.
- You must have a supplemental life insurance policy of at least 1X your salary in order to purchase spouse life insurance.
- You may apply to purchase spouse life insurance any time during the year.
- Coverage is portable.
- You may purchase child life insurance in $5,000 increments up to a maximum of $20,000. New hires may elect up to $20,000 in child life insurance without evidence of insurability within 31 days from date of hire.
- The rate for child life insurance does not increase per eligible dependent (child) added to your plan.
- Children are eligible for child life insurance from live birth to 26 years of age.
- If any couple are employed by the City of Savannah, only one parent may cover the child on the child life insurance policy.
- To increase your child life insurance policy you must complete an Evidence of Insurability (EOI) application online here (select “Enroll”) or submit an EOI directly to The Standard for approval. You will be notified if you are approved or denied by the vendor.
- You must have a supplemental life insurance policy of at least 1X your salary in order to purchase child life insurance.
- You may apply to purchase child life insurance any time during the year.
- Coverage is portable.
Plan Details & Rates
Evidence of Insurability
Need to complete an evidence of insurability application? Visit the member portal here (select Additional Life and AD&D and Enroll) or submit an Evidence of Insurability application directly to the Standard for approval.
If you would like to take your life insurance with you upon separation, please complete a Life Conversion Application and fax to The Standard Life Insurance company at (252) 293-9048.
Life Insurance Claim
The City of Savannah’s Benefits Team is here to help you make this process as easy as possible. When you lose a loved one that has City of Savannah life Insurance, please complete the Life Insurance Claim Packet , which will need to be completed by the beneficiary. Email to email@example.com or fax to (912) 525-1697 along with a certified death certificate and a copy of your driver’s license. If you have any questions, please contact Barbara Veiock at (912) 525-2407.
As Part of the Group Life Insurance Plan, you also receive:
The Life Services Toolkit
- Grief Support: Morneau Shepell counselors can provide immediate support by phone or refer you to a counselor in your area. Beneficiaries are eligible for up to six face-to-face sessions and unlimited phone contact.
- Legal Services: Beneficiaries can obtain legal assistance from an experienced attorney.
- Financial Assistance: unlimited, unscheduled phone access to financial counselors to help with budgeting, and credit and debt management. You can also schedule a 60-minute telephone session for issues requiring more in-depth discussion.
- Support Services: You can consult work-life experts for help on a variety of issues. Work-life advisors can guide you to resources to help you manage household repairs and chores; find childcare and elder care providers; or organize a move or relocation.