Life Insurance and AD&D
|Life Insurance Coordinated By:||The Standard|
|Claims Contact Center:||800.368.1135|
Coverage Available to You and Your Family
Basic Life with Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D)
- Eligible employees are automatically enrolled in basic life insurance 30 days after date of hire for the amount of life insurance equal to one-time annual salary rounded up to the nearest thousand, to a maximum of $100,000 at no cost to you. Coverage amount automatically increases or decreases as the employee’s salary changes accordingly.
- An additional amount of $2,500 in life insurance is provided at the City's expense to each eligible employee and/or dependent enrolled in the City of Savannah’s group medical plan. This amount does not increase and is cancelled when the employee and/or dependent is removed from the City of Savannah group medical plan, or when the employee retires or separates employment with the City.
Supplemental Life with Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D)
- Eligible active employees may purchase supplemental life insurance at 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x, or 5x annual salary, rounded up to the nearest thousand to a maximum of $250,000
- You may elect coverage of up to 1x annual salary, without evidence of insurability (EOI) within 30 days from date of hire.
- To select above 1x salary, an
- Matching amount of AD&D insurance. For more information please see page 7 in the Standard Group Life Insurance Policy.
- Supplemental life insurance may be applied for purchase any time during the year.
- You may purchase spouse life in $10,000 increments up to maximum of $100,000. New hires may elect up to $30,000 in spouse life insurance without evidence of insurability (EOI) within 30 days from date of hire.
- Married couples employed by the City are not eligible to purchase spouse life Insurance.
- To increase spouse life insurance, an EOI application must be completed.
- Employee must have a supplemental life insurance policy of at least 1x salary in order to purchase spouse life insurance.
- Spouse life insurance may be applied purchase any time during the year.
- You may purchase child life insurance in $5,000 increments up to a maximum of $20,000. New hires may elect up to $20,000 in child life insurance without evidence of insurability within 30 days from date of hire.
- The rate for child life insurance does not increase per eligible dependent (child) added to your plan.
- Children are eligible for child life insurance from live birth to 26 years of age.
- Parents employed by the City, only one parent may cover the child on the child life insurance policy.
- To increase child life insurance policy, an EOI application must be completed.
- Employee must have a supplemental life insurance policy of at least 1x salary in order to purchase child life insurance.
- Child life insurance may be applied for purchase any time during the year.
Evidence of Insurability
Need to complete an evidence of insurability application? Visit the member portal here (select Additional Life and AD&D and Enroll) or submit an Evidence of Insurability application to the Standard for approval. The Standard will notify the employee if application is approved or denied.
Upon separation from the City, the employee may choose to take the life insurance policy by completing a Life Conversion Application and submit to The Standard by fax 252.293.9048.
Life Insurance Claim
The City of Savannah’s Benefits Team is here to help you make this process as easy as possible. When you lose a loved one that has City of Savannah life Insurance, contact Barbara Veiock by email or
As Part of the Group Life Insurance Plan, you also receive:
The Life Services Toolkit
- Grief Support
- Legal Services
- Financial Assistance
- Support Services