By City Code; all persons, contractors, utility companies, and other agencies must obtain a Right-of-Way Permit from the Traffic Engineering Office for all obstructions on shoulders, streets, lanes, or sidewalks. Right-of-Way Permits must be approved by Traffic Engineering , following the review and approval from other applicable City Departments. The Application for the permit must be submitted to the Traffic Engineering Office at 1100 W. Gwinnett St., emailed, or faxed to (912) 525-1535. Call (912) 651-6600 for more information.
- Per the City's Emergency Order, the Traffic Engineering Office is closed to the public. All applications must be submitted via FAX: 912-525-1535 or EMAIL: email@example.com.
- Invoiced fees can be paid using most credit cards online via eTRAC. To sign up, users must click "Register" on the eTRAC site & provide the required information. See link for guidance: http://www.savannahga.gov/1027/eTRAC
- For customers that are unable to submit applications and/or fees electronically, a drop-box is available next to the main entrance of the Traffic Engineering Office (1100 W. Gwinnett Street, Building B) until September 9th.*
- No personal checks or cash will be accepted – Only cashier checks, money orders, or local company checks.
- For more information, please contact the Traffic Engineering Office at (912) 651-6600.
Fees and Conditions
$45 Application or Renewal Fee
Additional fees may be required based on the type of work being done:
- Sidewalk - Partial Closure……….no additional fees
- Shoulder Work……………………no additional fees
- Parking*………………………......no additional fees *Use of metered parking or loading zone: applicant must abide by Article J Section 4 of the City Code, by obtaining a commercial vehicle decal from Parking Services prior to application or any other applicable fees.
- Sidewalk - Full Closure…….…...$40 additional fee
- Lane of Traffic…………………....$40 additional fee
- Alley………………………………$40 additional fee
- Local Street Closure…………....$40 additional fee
- Major Street Closure………...….$80 additional fee (Requiring a Detour)
All fees should be paid via cashier’s check or money order payable to “City of Savannah”. Submit fees to the Traffic Engineering Department:
- Mailing Address: P.O. Box 1027, Savannah, GA 31402
- Physical Address: 1100 W. Gwinnett St., Savannah, GA 31415
Policy/Criteria for Closing Streets
The closing of a City street to restrict vehicular or pedestrian traffic will be given extreme consideration and will be approved only after a full review of less restrictive options and alternatives.
- No street closure will be permitted unless the petitioner submits reasons for the street closure, stating other alternatives that have been explored. The convenience of construction and cost savings techniques will not outweigh the importance of keeping a street open to vehicular and/or pedestrian traffic.
- The petitioner may be required to provide evidence and proof that there are no other reasonable safe alternatives to perform the construction project without closing the City right-of-way.
- No part of the right-of-way will be permitted to be closed for the purposes of storage of material or any equipment unless such is not feasible on private property or other City facility in the vicinity of the project.
- Street closure requests for the purpose of building construction and rehabilitation will require an in-depth review by the Development Services of other feasible construction alternatives and methods prior for the approval of a street closure.
- Petitioner may be required to provide for temporary safe pedestrian facilities such as covered walkways within the construction zone to minimize pedestrian inconvenience.
- All signage and barricading for construction operations, lane, sidewalk, and street closures, as well as detours, shall be performed in accordance with the latest edition of The Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD).
- The work shall be arranged and conducted so that it can be performed with the least interference to all vehicular and pedestrian traffic.
- For closing of minor residential streets, a 24-hour advance notice is required. Call (912) 651-6600 between the hours of 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM, Monday thru Friday.
- Lane closures involving signalized intersections or arterial streets; a 48-hour advance notice is required. Call (912) 651-6600 between the hours of 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM, Monday thru Friday.
- Complete street closures involving collector and arterial streets, requiring a traffic detour, require four working days advance notice in order to coordinate a news release. Call (912) 651-6600 between the hours of 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM, Monday thru Friday.
- Construction is not to be permitted on City streets between the hours of 10:00 PM through 7:00 AM; except under emergency situations with the approval of the Traffic Engineering Director.
- In order to provide the greatest possible convenience to the public, all street or lane closure markings and devices shall be removed immediately when work is completed or temporarily suspended for any length of time.
- PERMITS MUST BE POSTED AT THE WORK SITE.