The Office of Special Events, Film & Tourism issues annual permits for restaurants wishing to offer sidewalk dining to their patrons.
We are happy to announce that we will be accepting Sidewalk Dining applications online beginning April 1st, 2023!
Permits issued in 2022 will remain valid until April 30th, 2023 to allow for this transition
The City of Savannah's Sidewalk Dining Program offers restaurants an exciting opportunity to expand their table service to the city's sidewalks provided such use; is not inconsistent with the dedicated public right-of-way, does not impede travel, and does not interfere with public safety or the rights of adjoining property owners.
Applicants shall obtain permits annually from the Office of Special Events, Film & Tourism.
Sidewalk dining is regulated through the current Temporary Use of the Public Right-of-Way policy, which is intended to:
- Provide pedestrian and vehicular safety and convenience;
- Restrict unreasonable interference with the flow of pedestrian or vehicular traffic,
including ingress into or egress from any residence, place of business, other building, or
from the street to the sidewalk by persons exiting or entering parked or standing vehicles;
- Provide reasonable access for the use and maintenance of poles, posts, handicap ramps,
traffic signs or signals, hydrants, mailboxes, and access to locations used for public
- Disallow interference with the operations of adjacent businesses;
- Encourage active street-level activity to enhance the urban environment; and
- Preserve and enhance the character of the Historic Landmark District.
It is unlawful for any person to place items on, or provide outside table service to, the public right-of-way in the City of Savannah without first obtaining a permit.