For Immediate Release
Date: October 9, 2016
The City of Savannah has released the following temporary changes and guidelines for City Sanitation services:
· There will be no garbage collection on Monday; services will resume as soon as possible on a modified holiday schedule (information on modified schedule will be forthcoming).
· Due to widespread loss of refrigeration and health issues from food spoilage, garbage removal will receive priority. Therefore recycling collection is suspended until further notice. Recycle carts should be used for garbage overflows.
· The Dean Forest Road Landfill (1325 Dean Forest Road) will be open starting Tuesday for direct haul of garbage (city residents & paid subscribers from unincorporated Chatham County only). Additional garbage drop-off sites may be opened if necessary.
Storm Debris should be handled as follow:
· Clean vegetative material should be placed curbside, preferably at the regular point of yard waste collection if possible.
· Follow regular set-out guidelines to the extent practical (cut branches to 4 feet and stack them; loose leaves in brown paper yard waste bags or container).
· Following regular guidelines allows more material to be carried per truckload and speeds up the overall collection effort.
We request help:
· Please adhere to storm debris set-out guidelines.
· Limit materials set out to storm-related items only. Now is not the time to clean out the closet or garage.
· Do not mix and mingle different debris types; this only creates more work and slows the overall process down.
· Do not place debris in the roadway.
· Do not blow leaves or other vegetation into the street.