For Immediate Release
Date: April 3, 2013
The City of Savannah is taking its permitting process on the road in April. From 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturday, April 13, City Development Services staff will be available at the southside Home Depot, 11180 Abercorn Street. Citizens can get their questions answered and receive guidance on building permits, plan reviews and inspections. Those with proper documentation can even secure the appropriate permits on the spot, a process that typically takes one to two weeks.
The event is geared for homeowners who are considering a home improvement project. Typical projects that may require a permit include:
• construction of a new porch, deck, shed, driveway or fence
• finishing a bonus room or storage area
• enclosing a patio, porch or deck
• installation of a new bathroom or kitchen fixture
• replacement of windows or roof
• energy upgrades
• installation of central air conditioning
• installation of a swimming pool
Often receiving a permit for these projects is quicker, easier, and less expensive than a homeowner may think. The permitting process is designed to protect the public by helping to ensure proper construction and installation techniques are followed. This reduces the risk of serious safety problems including construction failure, electrical fire, carbon monoxide poisoning, and mold development.
For more information contact the City of Savannah Public Information Office at 651-6410.