March 20, 2018
For Immediate Release
Public Invited to Provide Input on Historic District Zoning Ordinance
SAVANNAH, GA (March 20, 2018) — The City of Savannah is asking the public to provide comments to the Metropolitan Planning Commission and the Historic Board of Review regarding proposed revisions to the Savannah Historic District Ordinance.
The purpose of the proposed revisions is to:
- Correct typographical errors
- Clarify definitions
- Add/revise standards to address changing technologies
- Allow ‘R’ zoning districts outside the Landmark District to qualify for a bonus story
- Strengthen the bonus story criteria, particularly in regards to the ‘active use’ criterion
- Add additional standards for large scale development
- Provide the Historic District Board of Review (HDBR) some flexibility in the strict application of certain standards
- Strengthen the standards applicable to Monumental Buildings to ensure the protection of the Oglethorpe Plan
- Revise the boundaries of the “Factors Walk Character Area” to reflect the historical boundaries of Factors Walk
- Require that amendments to the Historic District Ordinance are reviewed by the HDBR in addition to MPC and City Council.
WHAT: Proposed Revisions to Savannah Historic District Ordinance
WHEN: March 21, 3 p.m. – 5 p.m.
WHERE: 112 East State Street, Mendonsa Hearing Room
WHO: The Metropolitan Planning Commission & Historic Board of Review
The Historic District Board of Review will hold a Special Called meeting on March 28 at 2:00 to review and receive additional public comments.
Review a draft of the proposed revisions here: http://www.thempc.org/docs/lit/Hist/2018/DraftRevisions.pdf
If you cannot attend the meetings but have questions or would like to comment, there are several ways to participate:
- Email comments to email@example.com
- Mail comments to Historic Preservation Department, 110 East State Street, Savannah, GA 31401
- Call Ellen Harris at (912) 651-1482